Saturday, December 22, 2012

26 acts of kindness

It has been difficult for me to talk about the Connecticut shooting without getting choked up. Partly because I am the mom of a first grader. A first grader who attends public school. A public school in an affluent suburb. A public school with amazing teachers, a dedicated principal, and classrooms full of adorable lively children. Children that look just like the 20 pictures I've seen floating around Facebook and the news. I know what it's like to send my first grader off to school and give up my sense of control of what happens to her every day. I know that I fully expect her to get right back off the bus that I put her on. But what happens between those hours to her is out of my hands. Ever since that August day last year when she started school, I've tortured myself with the what ifs. It could have been me. But I can't understand the pain that 20 moms are feeling.

This was a response written by my rabbi.

"When facing tragedy Judaism doesn’t look for answers it looks for a response.

And Judaism’s response is twofold:

1. Express sympathy to the community and families in mourning. Let them know that they are not alone in their pain. We mourn together with them. This is the greatest source of comfort.

2. Channel the pain into positive action. We must become even more determined to bring goodness into this world as a result of the evil we have witnessed.

Share even more love with those you come into contact with, and they will share it with others. If everyone moved by this tragedy increases their love and acts of goodness and kindness we will introduce into the world a massive power of good, and that is the only response to such utter evil!"

So in honor of the 26 souls who are making their journey, I will do one act of kindness for each of them. I will not stop there and will commit to continue those acts long after the 26 so that I can do my small part in bringing some goodness into the world. Hopefully also my children will see this and will learn to do their own acts of kindness.

#1 - yesterday I purchased coffee for the person behind me in line at Starbucks. That was some goodness for you Emilie Parker.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment