Thursday, June 5, 2014

My dad, the beach, Fathers Day

Every year it seems goes by faster and faster. Every year we do some of the same things and some new things. One thing we do every year is head to the beach. I did it growing up and I want my kids to experience the same. Some of my best childhood memories come from being at the beach. Being at the beach I always feel a little closer to my dad. He adored the beach and would sit out from sunrise to sunset and beyond if we'd let him. He was famous for sleeping on the beach, goofing around, and taking pictures of it all. We have so many pictures but so few of my dad because he was always behind the camera. I watch Max relish the beach with his big mop of curly hair and I know my dad is here with us. It makes me smile but also makes me sad. I like to imagine that he sees it all and is watching beaming with pride but I'm too selfish and wish he was here for us. I know he would dig in the sand and build castles with Max, take Alexis on walks far down the beach, playfully dance Maizy around the pool, and make Remy giggle until her cheeks hurt. I am lucky I can imagine all of those things. But my kids cannot. They cannot remember or didn't know. They only know what I've told them. It's good but not good enough. As another Father's Day approaches I will honor him and cherish the memories and hope that we are making as valuable memories for our kids. One day and you never know when that day might be the memories are all you have left.



- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment