Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Tolls Suck

While Max and Lexi were at school yesterday, I had to drive downtown for a bris. Now, I plug the address into the GPS and off I go following the directions. I'm making great time and get right on the highway. FYI, there is exactly one toll road here. And of course that is the road I happen to need to be on. As I'm driving, I realize......CRAP, I don't have 50 cents. Yup, that's all the toll is....50 cents. I don't have a dollar, I don't have $5, I don't have a quarter! NOTHING! Well, actually I had three pennies. So I begin to think of my dad. My dad was a cash kind of guy. Me, not so much. Debit cards do it for me. He always used to harrass me about not having money. It has come back to bite me in the @$$ maybe once or twice or eight times. Like when I used to ride the train to grad school and would show up there with no money, parking in a parking deck and then having no cash to leave it, etc. So as I'm laughing at myself driving down the highway thinking my dad was surely laughing at me, I come back into reality to think of what the heck I'm going to do. Well, I get off the highway at the next exit and search the car for some change. I come up with 20 cents, but that's not gonna do it. I plug "Wachovia" into the GPS and thankfully there is one less than a mile away (in the wrong directions of course). I get $20 out. Phew.....situation diverted. Well, I get to the toll plaza and hand her my $20. The ever so friendly toll taker said, "You got anything else". "No", I say. She responds, "You don't got a dollar or nothin' smaller?" Trust me, lady, I don't. She says, "well, I only have $17 in change". I say fine, keep the $1.50 and let 3 more cars go behind me. "Oh, well, I guess I could give you the rest in quarters", she says. Fine! I guess you don't have to be a rocket scientist to be a toll taker. Did I mention that I hate tolls?????

1 comment:

  1. Totally agree, I just vlogged about this today: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFU4FC4xMw0&feature=youtu.be - tolls are the worst.

    ReplyDelete