Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Things I'm Thankful For

Beginning on this thanksgiving eve and continuing through thanksgiving day, I will make a list of all the things I'm thankful for as a conscious way to appreciate this day of thanks. It is always easy to recall the things we wish didn't happen or happened differently but it is much much harder to recall every little thing we are thankful for.
1. I found my soulmate at age 18 and we have been happily ever after ever since. Fairy tales do come true.
2. Ben's quirky sense of humor that has helped to loosen me up a little.
3. The most amazing parents and childhood that I hope I am replicating for my children.
4. Although not nearly enough, 27 years with the best dad a girl could hope for. I always knew I'd be lucky if I married someone who would be half the dad my dad was. Somehow I ended up married to someone who is just as amazing.
5. 4 living grandparents until was 20.
6. A mom who is also my best friend.
7. A best friend who although she lives across the country is the best friend in the whole world.
8. So many wonderful friends that we fill our home (or my mom's home!) with during major life cycle events.
9. Maizy's belly laugh.
10. The way Alexis takes care of her little sister. So much so that when we have a babysitter, Maizy will only let Alexis carry her around and do things for her and cries when she so much as walks a step away.
11. The way Max smiles when he knows he is trying to be super cute to avoid trouble.
12. Max is EXACTLY like my dad even though he never really knew him in person.
13. Maizy's beautiful blue eyes.
14. A job with flexible hours so I can be with my children to raise then my way and not miss a moment of that precious time.
15. A great boss :)
16. How happy Alexis is when she is dancing.
17. How sensitive Max is and he always knows when you need a hug.
18. The blissful sounds of Alexis and Max playing kindly and sweetly together.
19. My college friends and sorority sisters who no matter what will always be there.
20. Girls night dinners
21. Night time reading in Alexis's bed.
22. Maizy's attempts to copy EVERYTHING her siblings do.
23. So many cousins for my children to grow up with.
24. A large and presently still growing immediate family. My family together is now 11 and Ben's family together any moment will become 15.
25. Our "gang" of extended family that is there for thick and thin.
26. Small holiday gatherings of 30-40 people all of whom I consider family.
27. Beach vacations
28. Co-workers that are all really friends (or family!)
29. Alexis's love for drawing (and she is actually pretty good at it).
30. Minivans with doors that open with a button push :)
31. Hand me down clothes!
32. A house where everyone has their own room.
33. Ben's devotion to our family with his four jobs.
34. Max doesn't really pass out anymore.
35. Maizy's cute little voice as she is learning to talk.
36. Alexis's teachers---a happy Alexis is a happy home.
37. Minor illnesses that may keep us home from school for a couple days but we get to bounce right back from instead of anything serious.
38. Ben's tolerance of my type A neatness!
39. My type A neatness
40. Max's sense of humor
41. Our adopted soldier who now has 12 boxes ready and waiting in our living room to send once a month thanks to our amazing friends and family (and now our living room serves a purpose!)
42. All the soldiers who make all of this list possible
43. My parents supported me through grad school even though I was married so I didn't have to have any student loans.
44. Ben's devotion to ALL of his jobs. When he does something, it's 100%. (except cleaning but that doesn't really belong on this list then, does it?)
45. How good Riley is when small people sit on her, pull her, put tiny fingers in her mouth. So what if she eats dirty diapers and pees when she is mad at us.
46. Almost always having extremely trustworthy and loving and free babysitters! Thanks mom, Karen, and Hank.
47. Ben's AP students who make excellent babysitters when we must pay someone.
48. When Max asks me to "come lay with me" in his bed and snuggles up close.
49. Going to UGA football games with fiends and making memories.
50. Babying all my babies because they won't let me do it forever.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

1 comment: