Wednesday, September 5, 2012

50 Rules - Part 2

Continued from post below.

16. Take her fishing. She will probably squirm more than the worm on your hook. That’s OK.-------definitely not high on my dads list of enjoyable activities but once I got married he was a sport for Ben's sake. On his first deep sea fishing trip with the Needle boys he "lost his sea legs" I quote from him. And had to ask the captain "where is the best place to hurl". He even went fishing again after this.

17. Learn to say no. She may pitch a fit today, but someday you’ll both be glad you stuck to your guns.--------I was a pretty good kid and he didn't often say no but as a result when he did. I knew he meant it.

18. Tell her she’s beautiful. Say it over and over again. Someday an animated movie or “beauty” magazine will try to convince her otherwise.--------he always did. I think my self esteem was always normal as a result.

19. Teach her to change a flat. A tire without air need not be a major panic inducing event in her life. She’ll still call you crying the first time it happens.--------well my dad's version of this was to say "just call me". He knew better than to even try. As a result, now I just call Ben or AAA.

20. Take her camping. Immerse her in the great outdoors. Watch her eyes fill with wonder the first time she sees the beauty of wide open spaces. Leave the iPod at home.------he was many things but the outdoorsy type was not one of them.

21. Let her hold the wheel. She will always remember when daddy let her drive.-------I remember sitting in his lap to drive from our house to the pool. It was so awesome!

22. She’s as smart as any boy. Make sure she knows that.-----smarter!

23. When she learns to give kisses, she will want to plant them all over your face. Encourage this practice.-------I always felt loved

24. Knowing how to eat sunflower seeds correctly will not help her get into a good college. Teach her anyway.--------always good for a road trip.

25. Letting her ride on your shoulders is pure magic. Do it now while you have a strong back and she’s still tiny.-------I remember sitting up there with my hands in his curly afro.

26. It is in her nature to make music. It’s up to you to introduce her to the joy of socks on a wooden floor.-------he always taught us to let go, be free, and make a fool of yourself.

27. If there’s a splash park near your home, take her there often. She will be drawn to the water like a duck to a puddle.-----we didn't have a splash park near us but my dad always took us to the pool. And during adult swim he would do cannon balls next to the old ladies with coiffed hair just for fun.

28. She will eagerly await your return home from work in the evenings. Don’t be late.------when I was little and my dad had a great well paying job with Morgan Stanley, he was never home. I would wait up until ten or get up at 4am to see him. He quit the job. He loved us more than money.

29. If her mom enrolls her in swim lessons, make sure you get in the pool too. Don’t be intimidated if there are no other dads there. It’s their loss.---------my dad was often the only dad around with the other moms. He didn't care. Neither did I.

30. Never miss her birthday. In ten years she won’t remember the present you gave her. She will remember if you weren’t there.-------I can't remember him ever missing one. Until I turned 28.

31. Teach her to roller skate. Watch her confidence soar.-----again I must reiterate his lack of athletic prowess.

32. Let her roll around in the grass. It’s good for her soul. It’s not bad for yours either.-------he was always rolling around playing with us.

33. Take her swimsuit shopping. Don’t be afraid to veto some of her choices, but resist the urge to buy her full-body beach pajamas.------shopping was pretty high on my dad's "I would rather pluck out my eye lashes than _______" list.

34. Somewhere between the time she turns three and her sixth birthday, the odds are good that she will ask you to marry her. Let her down gently.------I don't remember

35. She’ll probably want to crawl in bed with you after a nightmare. This is a good thing.-------I think I usually wanted my mom in these situations but one time I was sick and puked in my bed and he cleaned it while puking himself from the grossness and I sat comfortably in his bed.




- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment