Monday, May 23, 2011

Ben vs. Chipmunk

This morning we went downstairs and Max went into the playroom. He picked one of his new birthday toys (birthday post coming later) and asked to open it. I said I would open it while he cleanup up his marble works. As he was cleaning, he screams, "Hey there's a squirrel". I thought he just saw a shadow or something. He says, "You have to squash it". So I thought maybe it was really a bug. He says it ran behind this gray box of Maizy's toys. I asked him was it a bug or was it furry. He says, "furry. Maybe a chipmunk". Now I know he knows what a chipmunk looks like from Alvin and the Chipmunks so I start to maybe believe him, but not convinced. Until Riley joins us in the playroom. Now she is going nutso and sniffing everywhere. Then she starts pawing at the same gray box that Max said it ran behind. Now I officially believe him. I clear everyone out of the playroom and close the door. I call Ben and he says that he let Riley outside this morning and she apparently pushed open the playroom door to come back in. (If it is not lock, which clearly it wasn't, she can push it open herself). By the time Ben realized she was back inside, who knows how long the door was actually open for. That's probably how whatever it was got inside, but I tell him he better do something. He decides to come home. We wait for him to come home. I think the next video pretty much sum up the initial search and find. Click below and please excuse my expletives.



http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3bL8714jik




I lose total mom points for screaming and bolting and leaving Max to fend for himself!!!!!!




So we move the chipmunk party to the kitchen since it now was under the fridge. The rest can be seen here.

http//www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIrFS6dlKbQ

I do feel a little bad since this poor little chipmunk did not dig some crazy hole and invade our house, but rather he innocently wandered in. But I don't think there was any way of getting that fast little sucker outside without the end result.




1 comment:

  1. Though I was criticized for the end result by coworkers, here is my take on it.

    1 - If I stuck my hand in a chipmunk hole, I would expect it to defend its home and bite me. This bite could give me rabies and I could die.

    2 - I dont like to kill animals but when small creatures enter into my home, they have crossed the line. Sorry, end of the road. (History...4 rats, 1 chipmunk, 1 cardinal & 1 aquirrel while driving)

    3 - I must model for my children not to be afraid of nature. Ok..I did scream

    4 - Those of you who think I am heartless, after termination, I gently put Alvin in a box and buried him in the back yard (outside of the fence)

    ReplyDelete