Sunday, June 21, 2009

Father's Day

Slide 1
Father's Day has a different meaning this year. Instead of celebrating together with my dad the great father, mentor, example, and friend he is, we are left to reminisce about the father, mentor, example, and friend he was, without him. No more memories left to be made, only recollections of ones left behind. This is who my dad was in this life and who he will always continue to be in my heart.

The word “dad” evokes first a smile to my lips
Followed by a feeling of heartache and then a tear,
A smile because all my memories are goodness,
And a tear because he is no longer here.
As a child, he held my hand
Watched me dance and skate, ride a horse, and race
He never missed a moment or a special day
I could always look out in the crowd and see his grinning face.
He taught me how to ride a bike, sled down the hill
Watch me fall and help me back up
I can see his smile and hear his laughter still.
As I grew, things never changed,
He cheered me on at every school event
Always wearing a look of joy.
I hope he knew what that meant.
He delighted in my first detention
That fateful middle school day.
Finally, finally, finally
Was simply all he could say!
He helped me grow up
And come into my own.
Teaching me to drive a car
Begging for me to get off the phone.
Rooting for me in the homecoming parade
Walking down the football field in the rain by my side.
He was there for everything I did
Forever a gleam in his eye full of pride.
Applauding me for every hurdle I jumped,
Praising me for every race I completed.
He gave me the confidence to do what I wished
He gave me the tools to feel triumphant and never defeated.
As my biggest cheerleader,
He took the most pictures in our backyard for my prom,
Behind the camera with a beaming smile
Standing there tall and proud with my mom.
Family dinners and trips to the beach
Will forever be ingrained in my mind.
No matter what we did together
We always created memories that were one of a kind.
He supported me to follow my dreams,
Go to college and explore.
No matter what, he loved me,
I couldn’t ask for anything more.
I moved away crying because I would miss him so much
But I knew it was my time,
To take everything he taught me,
And to really shine.
He admired my grades, my friends, my choices,
By watching him, I knew the person I wanted to be inside.
He gave selflessly of himself
And I knew I could be just like him if I tried.
He taught me to work hard for anything I wanted.
Yet, he taught me how to have the most fun.
I learned so many life skills from him
I felt confident I could take my dreams and run.
And so I excelled through college
And had the best time.
I found the perfect match for me
Just like that dad of mine.
I never saw my dad cry before
Like when he saw me as a bride on my wedding day.
Walking arm in arm with he and my mom down the aisle,
He made our wedding the best day of our life in every way.
I looked into his eyes and knew the best was yet to come.
He didn’t lose a daughter, but rather gained a son too.
I always knew what I wanted in a husband,
Because what he and my mom had could only be matched by so few.
So the new chapter of all of our lives began,
And finally when grandkids came along,
He was the ultimate Opa,
Treating them like they could do no wrong.
He took off work to babysit
Because it was his greatest pleasure,
Being with those sweet faces
They really were his treasure.
But too quickly he was taken away,
Their memories will be hardly any
But we will make sure his legacy lives on
And the Opa stories will be many.
They will know the man their Opa was
And who his soul continues to be,
They will make him proud
And we will all be there to see.
If we can be half the parent he was to us,
Our kids will be blessed.
And his soul will reach the heavens,
Where he can be blissful and rest.

2 comments:

  1. Wow Michelle, what a beautiful, wonderful tribute to your dad. I think it is so great that you are expressing yourself. I know it is difficult but so very necessary to help you heal. I wish I had done this after my mom died. Keep those memories alive and wrap yourself in all the love he had for you and your family. I love you. Kar

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know I'm not "anonymous". Just couldn't figure out how else to do it! Karen

    ReplyDelete