Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Swimming Lessons

Alexis had her first swimming lesson today from our friend Hilary. Actually, her swimming lesson made me feel REALLY old. I used to babysit Hilary and her two brothers (yes, they are triplets) when they were about 5. Now, she's in college giving swim lessons to my kid. How crazy!!! For some reason it doesn't seem all that long ago that I was babysitting for her, but I guess 15 years go by fast. Wow, that makes me sound old again, so back to the swimming lesson.

It started out well, and Alexis was quite happy in the water.

It even began to progress somewhat well without the swimmies. (By "somewhat well", I mean that after some tears and me getting in the water with her clawing onto my neck and passing her over to Hilary, and eventually she stopped crying. But please note the scowl on her face.

But then, Hilary uttered the words "under water" and all HELL broke loose. Alexis began crying uncontrollably (like snot dripping down her nose, unable to breathe crying). Then she tried the old "I have to go potty" attempt at getting out of the water. Of course, I didn't want her to pee in the pool, so I took her, but made her get back in. Then she wouldn't do anything Hilary asked her to do including things that I know she can do (i.e., breathe). Here is a video, but it's kinda hard to hear. Just listen for crying and someone screaming, "Moooooommmmmmmmyyyyyy". Yeah, that's probably her.



So we can only hope that things get better from here. Actually, now that I think about it, Alexis has gotten a lot of practice screaming these past few days. She had some eye problems (not related to her blocked tear duct) so we have to put drops in her eyes three times a day. Ben literally has to pin her down by sitting on top of her with her hands under her butt and hold her arms down with his legs, then pry her eyes open while I quickly squeeze the drops in (please don't call DFCS!). It also involves lots of screaming. I guess I should monitor her vocal folds :)

No comments:

Post a Comment